Dr. Seevali Jayawickreme from the Sports Medical Unit, Ministry of Sports, Colombo -07 has informed Sri Lanka Cricket of facilities available to treat Sports injuries in certain areas of Sri Lanka. We are pleased to inform your School that a few Hospitals in Sri Lanka have the Sports Medicine Unit facility to attend to injuries of Sportsmen.
Appreciate if you may inform your Games Masters and Teachers / plus the Cricket Coaches of your teams participating in Schools Cricket competitions to avail this opportunity since it is available “FREE OF CHARGE” to all the students. Listed below are the following Hospitals that have Sports Medicine qualified Doctors to attend to the injuries of Sportsmen.
- Kandy Hospital,
- Kurunegala General Hospital
- Anuradhapura General Hospital
- Negambo Hospital
- Peradeniya Teaching Hospitals
- Homagama Base Hospital
In addition Special Clinics will be conducted at the Institute of Sports Medicine Colombo and is indicated below for your easy reference.
- Every 1st week of Monday Dr. Banagala – Orthopedic Surgeon
- Every 2nd week of Tuesday DR. Vasantha Perera – Orthopedic Surgeon
- Every 3rd week of Thursday Dr. Punchihewa - Orthopedic Surgeon and
- Every 4th week of Thursday Dr. N. Pinto – Orthopedic Surgeon will be visiting, in the mornings from 9am to 11am.
- Dr, Upali Peries – Psychiatrist will be working on Thursdays by appointments.
- You may contact Dr. Shiromi for appointments.
In time to come the Ministry of Sports will endeavor to establish several such Sports Medicine Units in all Districts around the Island, for Sportsmen to avail this facility on an “FREE OF CHARGE” basis.