Cricket Committee of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) at a recent meeting unanimously decided to inform School Authorities and Sri Lanka Schools Cricket Association that there is a dearth of Fast Bowlers, coming through the school system to facilitate Sri Lanka cricket at the elite level.
Based on a discussion carried out a few months back by Schools Cricket Development Department with the Coaching Department SLC and National Age Group Selectors SLC, we wish to give below in point form some of our observations.
- School Coaches directing Captains of Teams to use spinners with the new ball during U 13, U15, U17 and U 19 One Day matches and 2 day matches instead of using fast Bowlers.
- School Coaches instructing Grounds Men to prepare very slow wickets [instead of sporting wickets] thereby depriving Fast Bowlers the opportunities to bowl in matches
- A match arranged during the rainy seasons also deprives opportunities for fast bowler due to slippery wet conditions.
- The result is fast bowlers suffering injuries [drawing reference to item No 2 & 3].
- Matches arranged without the normal minimum 48 hrs recovery periods resulting in critical injury to player/s and specially the fast bowler’s fraternity.
With the future in mind SLC, respectfully request the authorities of the School to address the situation by instructing the School’s Coaching Staff and Captain/s of Teams by making it mandatory for the fast blowers to bowl as follows:-
- Fast Bowlers to bowl with the new ball within the first 10 over at the commencement of each innings.
- Fast Bowlers be sparingly used, with a maximum of 06 over spells bowled at any given time during an innings.
- Matches to be arranged by maintaining at least a 48hours period for recovery between matches.
In anticipation we trust your kind co-operation towards improving the standard of Fast Bowling to serve Sri Lanka Cricket to reach the desired standards to be one of the top most Elite Teams in World Cricket.